Last updated: 04/18/2015

Guidelines for Non-Sewered Water Meter Installation

Purpose: To provide recordable water usage for irrigation and other non-sewered uses.

  1. An application for a non-sewered water meter installation must be completed by the property owner.

  2. Water meter must be purchased from the GLSSWD.

  3. Total installation expense is the responsibility of the water meter purchaser. Including signal wire installation to MXU mounting location.

  4. The non-sewered meter must be plumbed in so as not to record gallons of usage recorded by the main sewered meter. Meaning, the non-sewered meter cannot be plumbed in line either before or after the main sewered meter. The non-sewered meter must utilize a separate supply source tied off from the in coming water service.

  5. Only outside faucets shall be connected to the non-sewered meter. Only faucets installed in such a manner as to not allow drainage to any sewer collection devise will be allowed.

  6. Inspection of non-sewered meter installation by the GLSSWD is required. Inspection and approval of completed installation must occur before utilization of the non-sewered meter.

  7. Water usage is to be billed at the normal usage rate. Current usage rate is $1.85 per thousand gallons.

  8. Non-sewered water meter must be removed or sewer usage fees will apply if determined by the GLSSWD that inappropriate installation and or water usage has occurred.

Roadway Restoration Costs - $2.8 Million

All sewer or water roadway restoration costs will be assessed, 50% of the assessment will be based on units and 50% based on lineal feet of lot width. Roadway restoration costs have been supplemented by township, county, and state funds to pay for additional road improvements.


Adjustments to Formulas for Single Family Residential Lots

Minimum Lot Size
Minimum Lot Size
Minimum Lot Size
Minimum Lot Size
1st Tier 60' 150' Actual Actual
2nd Tier 50' 100' Actual 100' *

There is a point where benefits to residential property for improvements related to its size, despite related costs, are not justified. Minimum and maximum lot size formula adjustments reflecting this premise are shown in the following table.

*Second tier properties with development potential will have lineal foot road costs over the 100' maximum deferred until developed.


Sewer Availability Charge (SAC)

This annual fee will initially pay for 50% of the sewer collection system capital costs. It will pay for a decreasing percentage of those costs (and the fee will be lowered) as population growth occurs around the lake and more property is developed with GLSSWD sewer and water service.

The fee will apply both to residential living units, actually hooked to the sewer system, and to other units within 200 feet of sewer collection lines. The areas affected are along CR 144, CSAH 30, CR 131, Old North Shore Drive, CSAH 4, Indian Beach Road, Indian Beach Circle, CSAH 10 and other Green Lake roads with collection lines giving direct (200') access to living units. For Units not hooked up to GLSSWD sewer service, the SAC payments will be credited towards future sewer assessment connection costs. 

Sewer and Water Base Fees

All of the above described assessments and fees pay for water, sewer and road costs directly benefiting property around Green Lake. Monthly sewer and water base fees, on the other hand, pay the capital costs of wells, water towers, trunk lines, and the water and waste- water treatment plants that mutually benefit New London, Spicer and Green Lake residents. The Green Lake minimum monthly base fee has been tentatively set at $15 for sewer and $15 for water. The Green Lake area sewer base fee will not take effect until July 1st. 

Water Availability Charge (WAC)

This fee only applies to properties affected by the Sewer Availability Charge that are not connected to the GLSSWD water supply. It will help pay for water supply costs and reflects the benefit (of improved fire protection and municipal water availability) by having the District water supply available even if a property is not connected to the supply. The Water Availability Charge may differ from the water base fee of water users depending on other expense items that may be included in either fee. 

New Hookup Fees

As an incentive for hooking up to water and sewer service, there are no hookup fees currently charged for new water or sewer connections to existing homes until September 1, 2001. This incentive does not apply to new developments. The hook up fee schedule is as follows:


Basic Sewer and Water...$1,000 Sewer Only...$1,000 Water Only...$1,000 Multi Units...$1000+250/unit 


$1,200 up to 750 gallons per day (gpd) estimated usage. More than 750 gpd commercial usage will be evaluated by the GLSSWD Commission for an appropriate hook up fee. 

New Sewer & Water Connections

New water and sewer connections to properties that were not part of the original sewer district are the responsibility of the property owner. The District will not connect existing septic systems up nor run water service connections to within 10 feet of a house. The effect of this policy is that sewer, water, and road restoration assessments for new hook ups will be about $6,200 less than existing properties benefiting from District service line work. However, these properties will have to absorb the entire cost of providing their own water and sewer connections. Tier II properties signing up for sewer or water service this year will be included in the financing process at the same low interest rate (approximately 4% and 20 year amortization schedule) as other members of the district. Future hookup fees and future assessment costs or "tapping fees" must be paid in cash or can be assessed over a maximum 15 years at a minimum of 7% interest.

Existing Tier II homes may sign up for sewer service without water service. However, the District will not provide water service without also providing sewer service. New developments within the District boundaries must hook up to both sewer and water service unless specifically exempted by the District due to the distance to water and sewer service or other extenuating circumstances. 

General Water and Sewer Hook Up Policies

Sewer Hook Up Requirements

All existing GLSSWD systems will be hooked up to the new system. Noncompliant sewer systems in the expanded district must hook up to the district sewer system within one year of the property sale or transfer. Failing sewer systems must be hooked up within ten months of failure. As noted on the previous page, new sewer hookup costs are the responsibility of the owner. Existing homes or new development over 200 feet from sewer service but within district boundaries may be exempted from hookup requirements. Each situation will be evaluated by the GLSSWD Commission based on costs and other factors. 

Water Hook Up Requirements

Water hookup is not mandatory, but will become mandatory, with the sale or transfer of property within the 1st tier of property around the lake. Hook up would be required within one year of the sale or transfer. Those not hooking up as part of the water service projects would install their own service connection when needed. No new wells may be drilled for potable water use in the 1st tier. 

Undeveloped Property

When a property develops, water and sewer assessments will be determined based on the current assessment formulas plus accumulated SAC charges. However, the lineal foot portion of road assessments will be levied on lots or parcels with building potential during this summer's assessment process.

Guest Houses/Plumbed Garages

There will be no separate sewer or water assessment for guest houses or plumbed garages that are used as an extension of a main dwelling unit already assessed for water or sewer service. New hook ups would be the responsibility of the property owner. If a 2nd water meter is needed, the property owner would also pay for the meter equipment.

If the guest facility or garage was sold as a separate parcel, or it functions as a separate use, it would be charged for a separate sewer (and water) assessment and accumulated SAC fees. If a 2nd tier unit has a bathroom and the septic system complies with state regulations, is not failing, or otherwise affected by ordinance or rule, it can continue in use. However, the lineal foot portion of road assessments will be levied similar to the policy on undeveloped lots. 

Specific Applications of Assessments and Fees
Skyline Estates and Rice Estates

Multi Unit Water Assessments

Both complexes will be assessed at the rate of one full assessment for the 1st unit in a building and a 64% assessment for each additional unit in the building.

Green Lake Sanitary Sewer and Water District


Hi from the Green Lake Sanitary Sewer and Water District.

I was asked to share some thoughts about the operation and maintenance of your water meter. The water meter really is a simple device that measures the flow of water. It is a mechanical function where propellers in the meter housing move when water flows through it, and depending upon the size of the meter it records a certain volume of water. Normally it is in one thousand gallon increments. When a meter begins to wear out, which takes many many years, the meter will not accurately record all the water flowing through it. The meters in the district are also installed with remote reading capability. That’s why your meter has a small diameter wire attached to it and it runs to a small transmission box. This box will send a signal when requested to a remote reader. The reader is usually operated from the street and reads your water usage.   

When shutting down or winterizing your water system the first thing to do is shut off the water service supply. If you have a private shut off valve installed outside the building on the service line other than the district shut off valve (curb stop), which is usually located near the street or at the end of a common feed line, close it. If the only outside shut off is the district valve, which by the way is district property and for operational concerns can only be turned on or off by district personnel, your will need to call the district office and request a water shut off. After shutting down the water supply you now need to release any pressure in the system by opening a faucet. You now should unscrew the meter from its holding assembly and move it to the side without disconnecting the signal wire. Now you can begin draining or blowing out your water system. The hard part is blowing out the water in the line that enters your building. This is usually done by using compressed air attached to a smaller diameter plastic hose that you insert into the incoming line forcing the water out. Next take the meter and tip it end to end to remove any water trapped in it. Now re-attach the meter, close the shut off valve usually located near the meter on the inlet side and no damage should occur to the water meter or your water system.  

If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at 320-796-4523.

Ron Hagemeier
GLSSWD Superintendent