history.gif (4565 bytes)

GREEN LAKE

Green Lake is the largest lake in Kandiyohi County, covering 5,406 acres, with 12 miles of shoreline. It is six miles long and four miles wide. It has spots as deep as 111 feet. With Green Lake being considered as one of the most beautiful lakes in the state, Spicer has always been a favorite summer resort for those seeking healthful outdoor pleasure.

The years have seen great gains in population and improvements so that Spicer and Green Lake have not only summer residents but also permanent homes with residents the year around.

 

Recorded in the Kandiyohi County History have been some severe snowstorms: in 1905 with people losing lives; on January 7‑8‑9, 1873; the Armistice Day blizzard in 1940; and on March 17, 1965.

(201) Columbia Townsite

This townsite was staked out August 10, 1856, by J. M. Ayers, V. L. Forsythe, and E. T. Woodcock and incorporated by the Minnesota Territorial Council in 1857. Columbia later became the present City of Spicer. This marker stands in the Spicer City Park, downtown.

(202) First Home in County

Mr. and Mrs. E. T. Woodcock spent the winter of 1856‑1857 in the first permanent home in what became Spicer. Their log cabin measured 14'x 15'. Their daughter, born April 13, 1857, was the first white child to be born in this county. The marker is located in the northern part of Spicer.

(203) Little Crow's Camp

Little Crow, hereditary chieftain and last of his dynasty, claimed all the land between the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers before the treaties of Traverse des Sioux (185 1). This area was fertile hunting ground and often used. Traces of a corn storage hole at the campsite still remain. This marker is located two miles north of Spicer on State Highway 23, then one mile west on the Girl Scout Camp Road.

(204) Green Lake Village

After the U.S.‑ Dakota Conflict in 1862, a few settlers homesteaded near Green Lake's Crow River inlet when resettlement was permitted in 1864. Columbia townsite had been abandoned during the Conflict and never properly reestablished. The post office for this part of the county was placed at Green Lake Village in 1866, spelling the end of Columbia. The site became the location of the county's first lumber and grist mill, later converted to a hydroelectric plant. The marker is located at the Old Mill Inn, two miles northeast of Spicer on County Highway 30.

(205) First Missionary

Father Guignas was one of the two missionary priests from Canada who were part of Minnesota's first permanent settle­ment‑Fort Beaubarnois (Frontenac) on the Mississippi River near the present site of Red Wing. He went up the Mississippi River in the 1740's, then into the Minnesota, where he visited all the Indian bands along the river. From them he learned of the village located here. According to the best available records he walked, alone, from the Minnesota River to visit the Indians here. This marker is located on the north shore of Green Lake, two and one‑half miles east of Highway 23 on County Highway 30.

(206) Great Dakota Camp

Many tribes of Indians lived in the area, but the last were the Dakota. They established a great camp on the north shore of Green Lake. The camp existed for well over 100 years, until ever increasing pressure from tribes in the north and east and the treaties of the 1850's brought them to the Minnesota River reservation. The marker stands in Kandiyohi County Park Number 5, on the northeast shore of Green Lake.

(207) Indian Mounds

The burial mounds along the east shore of Green Lake are from an earlier Indian culture, probably the Woodland Indians. The site is one of the largest Indian Mound complexes in Minne­sota, extending one mile south of the lake outlet and one mile cast of the shoreline. Natural erosion, construction and cultivation, however, have reduced the mounds so that they are barely visible. Five remain in the vicinity of the marker, situated four miles east of Spicer on County Highway 10, then two and one‑half miles north on County Highway 4.

(208) Irving Townsite

A party of land speculators, AJ. Bell and E.M. Wilson, staked claim to Irving townsite in the fall of 1856. A small cabin was built here, and Hodden Putnam spent the winter here, as the sole inhabitant, to hold the claim. In 1857 a two‑storied blockhouse was built, intended to serve as a hotel. Newton Pierpoint was the innkeeper and the Irving postmaster until the U.S.‑Dakota Con­flict of 1862, when the building was burned. Irving townsite was the first county seat of Monongalia County, which comprised the northern half of what is now Kandiyohi County. This marker is located four miles cast of Spicer on County Highway 10, then north on County Highway 4, one and one‑half miles.