history.gif (4565 bytes)

THE EARLY YEARS
1920 and On

After 1920 many homes were built on the west side of the tracks, maybe due to the fact that the new school was located there. The business places that still continued on this side were two shoemakers, a livery barn, a stockyard, an ice house, a lumber yard, only one elevator by now, a feed mill, and a blacksmith shop that was moved shortly to the lakeside in the south end of town.

A large 18-hole golf course was where the Green Lake Mall and homes are in 1990. The clubhouse was where Melvin's on the Lake is now. There was a pavilion where many noted musicians furnished music for dancing two nights a week, and roller-skating was also enjoyed here.