AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY

The first meeting to organize an Auxiliary to the Henderson-Lewis Post #545 was held February 25, 1954, at the home of Mrs. Albert Qo) Block, with Mrs. Art (Betty) Midby as president pro tem. At this meeting the women voted to hold a meeting in the Village Hall on March 8,1954, to elect officers. On April 12,1954, the following officers were installed by Mrs. Walter Huckle of Appleton, Minnesota, who was the 7th District vice president. Also present was Mrs. Lester Ramey of Atwater, 7th District president. These were the first officers: President, Mrs. Henry (Flora) deCathelineau; I st Vice President, Mrs. Lester (Marion) Rime; 2nd Vice President, Mrs. William (Dorothy) Fritz; Secretary, Mrs. Albert (Jo) Block; Treasurer, Mrs. Lawrence (Lois) Heglund; Chaplain, Mrs. Charles (Norma) deCathelineau; Sergeants-at-Arms, Mrs. Albert (Myrtle) Ardoff and Mrs. John (Norine) Butler; Executive Board, Mrs. Dale (Olyve) Caylor and Mrs. Lawrence (Lois) Heglund; Publicity, Mrs. Wesley (Ann) Christensen; Historian, Mrs. Albert (Jo) Block.

Meetings were held at the homes of the members until the Legion Hall was built. The first meeting in the new facility was May 9, 1955.

The charter was granted June 7, 1954, with 37 names printed on it. They were the following: Mmes. Alfred (Edith) Anderson, Albert (Myrtle) Ardoff, Albert (Jo) Block, Miss Marcia Bloomquist, Mmes. LeRoy (Hazel) Brown, John (Norine) Butler, Norman (Cressie) Christensen, Arnold (Lillian) Christenson, Charles (Norma) deCathelineau, Edward (Gladys) Doyle, William (Dorothy) Fritz, Oscar (Vanita) Gustrud, Nels J. (Sarah) Hansen, Lawrence (Lois) Heglund, R.E. (Ardith) McLaughlin, Gilbert (Maret) Rime, Carl (Mabel) Samuelson, Albert E. (Edith) Thompson, Vernon (Verdilla) Anderson, Rolf (Marie) Arnesen, Wayne (Shirley) Block, Edward (Vivian) Bloomquist, Carl (Florence) Bratberg, Dale (Olyve) Caylor, Wesley (Ann) Christensen, Carl (Annie) Crevier, Henry (Flora) deCathelineau, Erwin (Gillenora)

Farness, Elmer (Selma) Gravgaard, Alton (Phyllis) Guttormson, Clyde (Fairy) Hawes, Merrit (Florence) Jordan, Arthur (Betty) Midby, Lester (Marion) Rime, Raymond (Ellen) Svejda, Henry (Deloris) Thompson, and John (Donna) Woodhall, Jr.

Gold Star Mothers were Mrs. Ellen Normile, Mrs. Willie Swart, Mrs. Harry Allen, Mrs. Jerry Bidwell, Mrs. Ernest Schultz, Mrs. Lars Wig, Mrs. Helen Goswick, and Mrs. F. A. Tourtelotte.

The Auxiliary sponsors Girl Scouts, Legionville, Girls' State, Red Cross Bloodmobile, American Education Week, and a group of ladies get together regularly to sew articles for the Veterans Hospital.